Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chapter 3 Question 3


One area that I found interesting to read about in this chapter was the section about language. There are so many different types of language that I never even thought about. I always thought there was just verbal and physical language, but there is so many different ways to communicate with language. There is informative language, which is provides facts or says that something is true or false. For example, pointing at a car and stating that it is a car. The car is a car so therefor it is true. Another form of language is directive. Directive language is used to direct. I am a lead at the DC on campus so when I am in work mode I am constantly directing people and telling them what to do. Expressive language is a form that everyone uses.  Thus form is used to communicate with feelings. Persuading someone to do something or think a certain way is used with expressive language. Overall, language is used for many things and the way we say and do things is all a result of how we use our language. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Language is very important especially with communication. I also work at the DC and I come across many different people that used different types of languages. It can affect how we as workers perceive a person’s character. We have very polite customers and then there are the rude customers. They use indirect non-verbal language. They would usually just point at the food or items that they want. This I bet is something you can relate to because this annoys me as well. Another thing that annoys me is when they touch things instead of asking for them or calling them by name.

    ReplyDelete